On Saturday 8thDecember, BSSC’s Arena team were on fantastic form in the final round of the National Arena Swimming League. After a 5thplace finish in November’s Round 2 gala, BSSC were joint 9thout of 16 clubs in the London Premier Division league table and narrowly missed out on the London Premier Final. But they headed to Hatfield in good spirits, ready to host the Gala and compete against Harlow Penguins, Chelsea & Westminster, Colchester, Romford Town, Enfield Squad A, Shiverers and Leander to keep their rightful place in the Premier Division next year!
It was an exciting, loud, fun night with lots of red warpaint and some brilliant performances across all ages, resulting in Stortford coming in 4thplace behind Colchester, Chelsea and Romford, and staying in the Premier Division in 2019! An outstanding result, especially from a team who had so many swimmers missing due to injury or illness! Particular praise has to go to David Badcock and George Grimwood, neither of whom were expecting such a busy night!
There were heaps of PBs and Season Bests, and several Current Club Records were broken by Lauren Gore in the 13/U 100 Breaststroke, Alex Catton in the 15/U 100m Backstroke, Eliott Iacono in the Open 100m Fly and Tom Ogden in the 15/U 100m Fly. BSSC had three first placed swimmers on the night, Millie Fields in the 15/U 100m Freestyle, Alex Catton in the 15/U 100m Backstroke and Dan Chada in the Open 100m Backstroke. A huge well done should also go to the Open Mens 6x50m Freestyle Relay Team of Tom Ogden, Callum Davis, Bradley Veitch, Alex Catton, Eliott Iacono and Dan Chada, who fought their way to a resounding first place in a thrilling end to the evening.
Thank you to all of the parents for the loud cheering, and in the absence of Team Ipswich, you could actually be heard poolside! Special thanks must go to our lovely officials in white – Tony, Dominic, Lorinda, Linda & Helena (who kindly offered to be Gala Secretary); to Pam for running the office; Benoit, Matt & Laure for their poolside pep-talks, shouting, whistling and arm waving; to Amy Chada, who came along to watch and was a huge help to Danielle on poolside; and to everyone who volunteered to help, it really makes hosting these Galas so much easier. Final extra special thanks must go to Shereen for all her hard work and dedication (and blood sweat and tears!) in selecting and organising the teams.
Well done again to all swimmers for surviving the Premier Division and, against the odds, retaining BSSC’s place for next year!!
Thursday 20th – Saturday 22nd December, Thursday 3rd – Sunday 6th January 2019.
No Training Sunday 23rd December – Wednesday 2nd January 2019
A large squad of Bishop’s Stortford swimmers recently attended Braintree & Bocking and Dunmow Atlantic’s joint Christmas Cracker Open Meet in search of some quick times and some rather sparkly Christmas medals. They had a cracking meet with some outstanding individual performances resulting in large amounts of PBs and County times across all ages, and a whopping 47 medals (15 Gold, 17 Silver and 15 Bronze) brought home by these super swimmers:
- Eliza Andrews (Silver 100m IM/200m Back)
- Alice Longman (Gold 50m Breast/200m Breast/100m IM, Silver 50m Fly)
- Imogen Tang (Bronze 50m Free)
- Amy Pinckney (Silver 400m Free)
- Grace Mason (Silver 100m Fly, Bronze 50m Fly)
- Jaymee Wardell (Bronze 200m IM/100m IM)
- Lauren Gore (Gold 100m IM, Silver 200m Breast)
- Lilian Opiyo (Silver 50m Free/100m IM, Bronze 50m Back/200m Breast/100m Back/100m Free)
- Fergal Barry (Silver 50m Free, Bronze 50m Back)
- Jago Derrington (Gold 200m Back/50m Back/200m IM/200m Breast, Silver 200m Free, Bronze 100m Breast)
- Evie Smallbone (Gold 50m Back, Silver 50m Free)
- Isabella Good (Bronze 100m IM)
- James Gisborne (Gold 50m Back/100m Breast/200m IM, Bronze 100m IM)
- Freyja Somers (Silver 100m IM)
- Adam Hazlewood (Gold 100m IM, Silver 100m Breast/200m Breast/200m IM)
15 years & Over:
- Eleanor Mason (Gold 200m Free, Silver 100m Free/400m Free, Bronze 50m Free/50m Fly)
- Hannah Morgan (Gold 200m Back, Bronze 100m IM)
Well done to everyone who took part across the two days – you made us proud with your effort, achievements and of course, your warm-up dance routines! Thanks also to Matt and Laure for their poolside coaching and support.
And finally, the Amazing Focus award has to go to Laure, who continued coaching the girl’s warm-up whilst the boys were performing YMCA all around her!