Parents / guardians
Parents / guardians must remain on the premises whilst their child is in lessons.
Parents / guardians are not allowed onto poolside. This is to conform with health & safety guidelines and with our child safeguarding policy.
Bishops Stortford Swimming Club Learn to Swim complies Swim England Wavepower 2020-2023 Child Safeguarding Policy and Procedures.
All instructors are qualified, experienced swimming teachers who hold the relevant qualifications and DBS checks. As some physical contact with your child is unavoidable during your child’s swimming lesson, all staff adhere to Swim England Wavepower 2020-2023 Child Safeguarding Policy and Procedures
Photography / Mobile phones
In accordance with Swim England Child Safeguarding Policies and Procedures any parents or carers of swimmers under the age of 18 who wish to take photographic or video images are requested to focus on their own child as much as reasonably possible and to avoid including other children in those images, particularly if those images are being shared with family and friends through social media platforms.
Mobile phones must not be used in the changing rooms.
Children aged 7 and older must use the changing rooms appropriate for their gender.
- Payment is due one week before the end of the current course, and final payment must be with the Treasurer by the last date of the current course
- Existing swimmers will be given priority for spaces on the next course as long as payment is received on time
- Class times cannot be guaranteed in order to allow for the ongoing progression of all swimmers. Therefore it may not be possible to ensure the same place and time each course.
- Any places not paid for by the due date will be released to the waiting list.
- Payment should be accompanied by the renewal slip, payments can be made by Bank Transfer, Debit or Credit Card or by cheque made payable to ‘BSSC’.
- We prefer not to accept cash payments, but will do so in special circumstances in person only.
- On the rare occasions when cheques do not clear, banks charge us a fee. We shall pass this fee on to you, and we shall require payment within seven days of notification.
- Lessons cancelled prior to the start of the course will be subject to a £15.00 administration fee per swimmer.
- Lessons cancelled after the start of the course will not be refunded.
- No refunds will be given for lessons missed unless cancelled by BSSC.
Assessments and feedback
- Each swimmer will be assessed for distance and stage testing each term.
- We operate an ongoing assessment system.
- Children might not receive a badge every term. Each child progresses at a different rate.
- Each stage of the Swim England Learn to Swim Framework has a large syllabus to cover, with swimming technique to learn and many skills to master. It is not unusual for each stage to take several terms to complete.
- Movement from stage to stage will be made at the end of each course of lessons on completion of all parts of the syllabus.
- If you would like to discuss your child’s development at any point throughout the term, please see one of the Swim School Administrators in the office during Sunday swimming hours, or call the dedicated swim line 07803 329802.
A medical form must be completed when commencing lessons with Bishop Stortford Swimming Club. It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to keep this information up-to-date at all times and inform us of any changes.
Your child must be clear of all symptoms for 48 hours before they return to swimming lessons.
If your child suffers from asthma please ensure your child uses their inhaler before lessons and has their reliever with them on poolside.
Children must not attend lessons until at least two weeks after the last sore has scabbed over.
If you are in any doubt as to whether you should bring your child to swimming lessons, please call 07803 329802.
Boys – close fitting trunks must be worn – not baggy swimshorts.
Girls – swimming costumes must be worn – not bikinis or two-piece swimwear.
It is a requirement for girls (and boys with longer hairstyles) to wear swim hats for lessons.